Coiling for Lyme

Trying to cure one case of Lyme Disease

Lyme Spine

The Herx started full-throttle. I did a Lyme disease coiling session on Thursday night. This morning, Saturday, I woke up with Lyme spine.

My telltale sign of a Lyme Herx is pain up and down my spine. It’s the pain in each of my vertebrae. It’s a full-length spasm in my paraspinal muscles. The first sensation I felt when I woke up was this pain.

I spent a long time on the BioMat because my back hurt so much. I don’t know if it helped or not. Even a hot shower didn’t get rid of the pain. The pain was intense enough to be distracting.

The spine pain made me easily frustrated and emotional. For example, I wanted to go to the local farmer’s market in my brother-in-law’s standard car. I know how to drive a standard. Yet somehow I could only get it started in reverse, not in first gear. After five minutes, all I wanted to do was put it back in its parking space. But I couldn’t get it to move forward. Once I finally did, I marched back into the house in tears.

Nothing seemed right. I was grumpy and upset. So I thought I would watch a dvd. That was another exercise in frustration. First I hooked up the vcr by accident, thinking that it was a two in one. Then I spoke to my brother-in-law on the phone, only to discover that the reason I couldn’t find the dvd player was that it was attached to a different tv. Okay, I brought it upstairs and hooked up the cables. Then I couldn’t get the tv to recognize it. I found the button on the remote to get to the screen where one chooses which input to use (cable, dvd or computer) and every button I pushed kicked me off the screen. I turned it all off and walked in circles. I went and got my laundry to fold. I was so frustrated. And my back was killing me. When I tried again, I figured it out and started the movie (The Avengers, lots of unfulfilled potential).

After all that, I didn’t even like the movie. But it did help me fall asleep. And when I finally woke up from my nap, the back pain was gone. Thank goodness.

Of course, at that point, the headache started and has been with me all day.

Interestingly, I decided to spend a portion of the afternoon on the screened in porch. Lots of fresh air. No air conditioning. No direct sunlight. No insects (well, only tiny gnats). My back felt fine as long as I was out there.

Once I came inside again (to coil, no less), the back pain started up again. I’ve been managing the back pain and the headache all evening.

I’m hoping this Herx passes quickly.


  • Babesia, chest, 5 minutes; abdomen, 5 minutes; ilium, 1 minute each side; knees/elbows, 1 minute; shoulders, 15 seconds each
  • Candida, abdomen, 10 minutes; chest, 2 minutes; face, 2 minutes


  • homeopathic support
  • sauteed cabbage (organic from my sister’s CSA share)
  • lemon water
  • skin brushing
  • BioMat
  • nap


Besides the back pain and headache, I’ve had floaters in my vision all day. I’m itchy in lots of places, but the rash on my chest has died down (along with the outdoor temperature). I was feeling run down, low energy, but not sleepy. Still, a nap was the only “cure” for Lyme spine.

I had the strange sharp pain in my left hip/outer thigh like someone is stabbing me or electrically stimulating that spot right before I get a shooting pain down the outside of my leg. That was this afternoon when I was sitting outside. My right side is starting to bother me now, but not as severely.

Tonight, my knees hurt and I feel cold in the house. Everyone else is wearing shorts, but I’m chilly in velour lounge pants.

No night sweat last night. In fact, I slept all the way through to the morning.


Categories: Herx reactions

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.